Request from Your Cancer Dietitian!
Thank you so much for reading my posts! I have one simple request of you – will you take this SHORT (less than 2 minutes) survey for me? You will be entered in a drawing for a handmade bracelet by me AND receive a Cancer Services t-shirt!
Most importantly, the information provided by this survey will help us to report back to organizations that fund our education programs. This website could not exist without that support. Thanks in advance for providing your feedback!
Click here to take the survey!
Lung Cancer in Non-Smokers:
Exposure to radon is the number one cause of lung cancer deaths among non-smokers in the U.S. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that radon causes more than 20,000 lung cancer deaths in the country each year.
In fact, radon claims more lives in the U.S. than does AIDS. It’s amazing because you may have never heard about radon, except when getting your house inspected before buying it!
What is Radon?
Radon is an invisible, odorless, tasteless, radioactive gas released from rock, soil and water through the natural decay of uranium. No area is free from risk. However, radon does not need to be a serious problem in your home.
How do I Know if I am Being Exposed to Radon?
Radon test kits are available free of charge in January, which is Radon Action Month. North Carolina residents may order free test kits from www.ncradon.org.
Some people may fear that if radon is detected in their home, the home
will lose value. However, according to the EPA, if an elevated level of
radon is detected in your home, the cost of rectifying the situation is about the same cost as having a new hot water heater installed. That’s pretty cheap!
more information about radon, go to www.epa.gov/radon.
Words from a Lung Cancer Survivor:
Dusty Donaldson, a lung cancer survivor and SUPERB advocate, sent me this information. She cautions that “few survive a lung cancer diagnosis. I was diagnosed four years ago. For your health and the health of your loved ones, test your home.”
We’ve had our home tested with one of these free kits. It was easy, cheap and good to know. Thankfully, we didn’t require any treatment and levels were normal.
Be sure to get yours checked out!