What is the benefit of milk?
Low fat dairy can be an important part of a complete diet for the following reasons:
- Milk is an excellent source of calcium, providing 30% of the recommended daily intake. A product can be labeled as an excellent source of a nutrient if it contains 20% or more of the recommended daily intake for that nutrient. It can be labeled as a good source if it contains 10-19% of the recommended daily intake.
- It is fortified with vitamin A and vitamin D,
- It is also a good source of protein. One cup of milk contains 8 grams of protein.
Soymilk contains about the same amount of protein as dairy milk (8g per cup). Soymilk has about the same amount of potassium and calcium as dairy milk. Soymilk is one of the best non-dairy milks when it comes to matching nutrient content.
- Though some people will tell you not to drink soymilk because it is made with GMOs, many popular brands, including Silk, are not made with GMO soybeans.
- Research has provided no evidence that GMOs are dangerous to one’s health. Read more about GMO foods: GMO Foods: Why You Should NOT Freak Out! andDon’t Freak Out About GMO Foods, Part 2!
- Any produce that is labeled organic is free of GMOs, therefore if you want to avoid GMO soybeans, you can consume organic soymilk.
- Q&A: Since coconut oil is high in saturated fat, should I just avoid it?
- Coconut Oil Part 2! Follow-up and more discussion.