If you follow me on social media (you should because I post a lot more there than I do here on the blog!), you know that I’ve been doing survivor cooking classes once a month called Cook to Thrive!
The most recent class we did is Salads: More Than Just Lettuce! I showed participants how to make 4 different salads and make them ahead in a jar so that they can eat them for lunch, or dinner, on multiple days. Great for bringing to work or having ready for when you get home!
If you’re not familiar with the “salad in a jar” concept, check out my blog post here: Salad in a Jar Recipe Ideas
Remember that the bonus to this strategy is that you can prepare several salads ahead of time and by keeping the dressing on the bottom of the jar, and the lettuce on the top, the lettuce never gets soggy! It’s the perfect “make ahead” solution for salads where you don’t have to keep the dressing in a separate container!
I am slowly getting the recipes all up on the blog, so one at a time this should be coming to you. Here’s the first of the 4!
Find the others here:
- Greek Chickpea Salad in a Jar Recipe!
- Thai Chicken Salad in a Jar Recipe!
- Pesto Salad in a Jar Recipe!
I hope you enjoy!
Taco Salad in a Jar RecipePrint
Taco Salad in a Jar Recipe!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground beef or 1 package of tofu
- 3 tbsp. taco seasoning *see recipe* on cancerdietitian.com for a DIY version
- 1 head of lettuce
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup of black olives, sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado
- 6 oz. Greek yogurt
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- Brown beef or tofu.
- Add taco seasoning and mix. Set pan aside and allow it to cool.
- If serving as a salad to eat immediately, place all ingredients in a large bowl.
- If your meal prepping this, add a layer of each topping to the Mason jar, adding the meat only once cooled completely. Use 4 large jars for this recipe.
- I suggest this order (putting in the jar first to last, or bottom to top): salsa, Greek yogurt, avocado, meat, onion, corn, black beans, tomatoes, olives, cheddar cheese, and lettuce.
- Shake when ready to serve to mix well. Serve with corn or whole grain tortillas, or topped with tortilla chips!