Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice RecipePrint
Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1 and 1/2 cups dry small red beans
- 1 and 1/2 cups dry brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery ~3 stalks of celery
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper diced
- 3–4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce add more for heat
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from one lemon
- green onions for topping (optional)
- Rinse the dry beans and sort out any debris. Rinse the brown rice. Set aside.
- Set your electric pressure cooker to “saute” on normal heat. Heat the olive oil in the pot, then add the onions, celery, and bell pepper. Saute for 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and seasonings: cajun seasoning, thyme, parsley, salt. Saute for 30 more seconds, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add the remaining ingredients: hot sauce, vegetable broth, water, red beans, brown rice, and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Lock the lid in place and set the pressure valve to sealing. Set to “high pressure” and put the timer to 30 minutes.
- Once the cook time is done, allow the pressure to release naturally. Remove the lid and taste for seasonings. Squeeze in fresh lemon juice. Remove the bay leaves and enjoy!