The Most Amazing Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash, cut in half, seeds scooped out
- 1 large shallot, diced (or use ½ medium onion)
- ½ cup almonds, soaked, drained, skinned *or use blanched almonds
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- Avocado oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Cut butternut squash in half, scoop out seeds (set aside seeds to roast later!). Place both halves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (skin side down). Rub a small amount of avocado oil on each half, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 45-60 minutes or until fork tender. Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Warm soup pot over medium heat with avocado oil. Once warm, put diced shallots in. Allow to cook ~3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add all seasonings, pepper, salt, stir to coat and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Scoop out ¾ of the squash, add to soup pot along with coconut milk, almonds, mix well and allow to simmer for 3 – 5 minutes. Add broth and allow to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Allow soup to slightly cool. Blend soup in blender (blend in batches!). Add soup back into pot on low heat – taste and adjust seasonings as preferred.
- Take the remaining ¼ roasted squash bit by bit and add into soup while squishing/softening with your fingers. Stir into soup.
For more tips, substitutions, etc. and Angela’s instructions, check out our cooking class with Angela here!