The Most Amazing Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash, cut in half, seeds scooped out
- 1 large shallot, diced (or use ½ medium onion)
- ½ cup almonds, soaked, drained, skinned *or use blanched almonds
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- Avocado oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Cut butternut squash in half, scoop out seeds (set aside seeds to roast later!). Place both halves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (skin side down). Rub a small amount of avocado oil on each half, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 45-60 minutes or until fork tender. Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Warm soup pot over medium heat with avocado oil. Once warm, put diced shallots in. Allow to cook ~3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add all seasonings, pepper, salt, stir to coat and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Scoop out ¾ of the squash, add to soup pot along with coconut milk, almonds, mix well and allow to simmer for 3 – 5 minutes. Add broth and allow to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Allow soup to slightly cool. Blend soup in blender (blend in batches!). Add soup back into pot on low heat – taste and adjust seasonings as preferred.
- Take the remaining ¼ roasted squash bit by bit and add into soup while squishing/softening with your fingers. Stir into soup.
For more tips, substitutions, etc. and Angela’s instructions, check out our cooking class with Angela here!
Recipe compliments of Angela Dennison, Oncology Dietitian and Nutrition Program Manager at Wellness House!
Bonya Tredway says
Hello…do you know the nutrition value of this soup? Like how much carbs, fiber, sugars, etc??
Julie Lanford MPH, RD, CSO, LDN says
it will depend on what specific ingredients you use and how much you eat. I’ll ask Angela if she has any calculation on it based on her recommended ingredients.