I did loaded sweet potatoes for one of my groups before the pandemic. It even surprised me how good it was. You can really go any direction, sweet or savory or a combo of both! This particular recipe, we focused on red ingredients as much as possible, to align with heart health month!
You’ll learn in the video that the red currents were a last minute idea when I was at the grocery store. They turned out to be a lovely addition! Not only do they look pretty, but the “pop” of tart flavor in the dish was really fun.
Loaded Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, baked
- 1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups Rainbow Chard, torn into bite sized pieces (any green will do)
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup salsa or pico de gallo (or more to taste)
- ½ cup guacamole or sliced avocado
- Slices of lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- While your potatoes are cooking, heat up frying pan and add cooking oil. Once warm, sauté onion for about three minutes, add a pinch of salt.
- Add red peppers, ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika and toss to coat. Sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add greens, beans, pinch of salt and cook until greens are wilted and beans are heated through. Take off heat.
- Using a knife, cut sweet potatoes lengthwise into two equal halves.
- Place sauteed mixture on top of sweet potatoes and add avocado, salsa and squeeze of lime.
-Angela & Julie