Survivorship Nutrition & Cooking Classes (with Julie and Angela, from Wellness House!)
CLASS 1: Increasing Fruits and Vegetables – CLASS 1 RECORDING: https://youtu.be/rk6xDV4C3Rg
CLASS 2: Reducing Red & Processed Meats – CLASS 2 RECORDING: https://youtu.be/0VuJlu-QHMk
CLASS 3: Increasing Whole Grains – CLASS 3 RECORDING: https://youtu.be/dUMGncl5hMM
CLASS 4: Reducing Added Sugars – CLASS 4 RECORDING: https://youtu.be/gjIT3TURtIc
Recipe CLASS 1: Cabbage Walnut Salad
- quarter of a white or green cabbage, finely shredded
- quarter of a red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 1 large red pepper, finely sliced
- ½ cup sweet peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup walnut halves
- Combine all of the vegetables (cabbage thru parsley) for the coleslaw in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine and whisk all of the dressing ingredients (olive oil though salt / pepper) until creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Top with walnut halves and additional parsley, if desired
Recipe CLASS 2: Classic Hummus
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), with liquid
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid. Put the beans into a blender or food processor.
- Add the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, black pepper, and olive oil, as well as about half of the reserved bean liquid.
- Puree the bean mixture, adding additional bean liquid as necessary to produce a smooth, very thick, creamy dip. Season with salt, if desired.
- Pour the bean dip into a serving dish.
- Optional: garnish with additional chickpeas, a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of black pepper
Recipe CLASS 3: Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
Instructions: Stir together all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add to a mason jar with a fitted lid. Refrigerate and store overnight.
Recipe CLASS 4: Banana Nice Cream!
- 4 frozen ripe bananas
- 2 tbs peanut butter
- 2 tbs milk (if needed)
Place the frozen banana in chunks in a food processor or powerful blender. Puree banana, scraping down the bowl as needed. Puree until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Add the peanut butter and puree to combine. Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream consistency. If you prefer harder ice cream, place in the freezer for a few hours and then serve.
*Note-if you have a hard time creating a creamy consistency, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to help puree the banana slices. Make sure you use a powerful food processor or blender!