Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square oven-proof dish and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper. (you want about 2 inches of overhang on each side)
- Core and slice the apples into small pieces
- In a bowl, toss the apples with lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Set bowl aside until assembly
Crust and Crumbles:
- Grab a separate bowl and combine flour, cinnamon, and sugar
- Slice butter into thin cubes
- Add and mix in sliced butter to flour mixture
- Make sure that butter is covered in flour mixture
- Spread 2/3 of the crust mixture into the oven-proof dish with a spoon. Press into pan to ensure flour sticks to butter.
- Add the apple mixture over the crust mixture
- Add the remaining 1/3 crust mixture on top of the apple (you can make some big crumbles if you chose)
- Bake for 1 hour until the top becomes golden brown (optional: drizzle sugar-free caramel on top at 57 minutes and bake for the remaining 3 minutes)
- Let cool for 1 hour and store in the fridge for up to 4 days or freezer for up to 3 months!