Julie hosts webinars regularly throughout the year to educated the public and health care professionals on oncology nutrition topics and general health and wellness topics. They are an hour long with some extra time for Q&A. Below are the ones that have been recorded. If you would like to have Julie as a speaker for your webinar series, let us know!
- Is My Food Safe?
- Gut Health: Food for a Healthy Colon
- Getting Started With Mindful Eating
- Carbs: Necessary or Not?
- Which Is Best? Organic or Conventional
- Nutrition and Immunity
- Optimizing Nutrition During Treatment: Preventing & Managing Malnutrition
- Nutrition and the Cancer Treatment Toolbox: What to Eat to Manage Side Effects
- What is a “Healthy Weight?” Key Components of a Healthy Lifestyle
- Science Based Nutrition: How to Read Studies Like a Pro!
- Plant Based Eating for Cancer Survivors
- Meal Planning Tips & Tricks
- Health Benefits of Culinary Herbs & Spices
- Food Safety for Cancer Survivors and Those in Treatment.
- Why We Eat: Emotional Eating & Illness
- Evidence Based Nutrition Guidelines for Breast Cancer Survivors – Wake Forest Baptist Health Breast Cancer Symposium
- Foods to Fortify and Boost Your Immunity
This webinar discusses the safety of the US Food Supply. Many people are confused by why various techniques or additives are in our foods. Which ingredients should we watch out for on the ingredient list? Should we avoid everything that is chemical sounding?
Join Julie Lanford, MPH, RD, CSO, LDN, The Cancer Dietitian, for this important discussion where she will break it down for you in to practical, and doable steps for making choices at the grocery store. You will leave with less anxiety about your food and more confidence in knowing how to feed yourself and your family!
Topics discussed during this webinar include the following. For more info on each topic, click the link, or stay tuned for my future blog posts following this theme!
- Microplastics in seafood
- Food additives
- Hormones in food
- Antibiotics in animal products
- Genetically modified foods
- Heavy metals in fish
- Artificial sweeteners
This topic is in honor of Colon Cancer Awareness Month. I cover all the basics you need to know about eating for optimal gut health. We will discuss the current evidence, as well as practical tips for maintaining a healthy colon.
Topics discussed during this webinar include:
- What is the gut?
- The microbiome
- Diet & Exercise
- Pre & probiotics
- Gut health and disease
Join us for this informative session on practical ways to incorporate more mindfulness into your eating. My special guest is Dietitian Jane Anderson, who works at Body in Mind Nutrition in Winston-Salem, NC.
WE COVERED THE FOLLOWING TOPICS:
- What are the benefits of mindful eating?
- How is mindful eating part of mindfulness?
- What is mindful eating?
- 5 Tips for eating mindfully
- Raisin meditation
In our current culture it seems that we constantly hear people say they are cutting out carbs or they are doing a ‘low carb’ diet. Keto is one of those diets that have been popular in the past few years.
You might wonder, what do carbs do for your body and why are they sometimes considered ‘bad’?
In the webinar recording and slides below we will talk all about carbs! By the end of this webinar, you know all there is to know about eating carbs and whether they are necessary or not!
The following are some topics that are discussed in the webinar…
- How carbs are digested & absorbed in the body
- What foods contain carbs
- Different types of carbs & their importance
- Why whole grains are important
- The hot topic of Gluten/Gluten-free diets
- How many carbs you should eat
In social media and popular culture, there is a big debate about which type of foods are better, organic or conventional. In this webinar, we discussed what they are, how these foods are grown, labeling, and which one is better for you. This was an informative webinar for knowing where your food comes from and what different food labels really mean.
The following was discussed in the webinar….
- Definitions of what organic and conventional foods are
- Organic food labels and what they mean
- Big factory farms vs. small local farms
- GMOs & “No-till” farming
- Common assumptions about organic and conventional farming
In this webinar, cohosted by Julie Lanford and Leah McGrath, they discuss exactly how nutrition can support or distract your immune system. They focus on food you should consider for your diet that strengthen your immune system. Then they also focus on foods that could be distracting your immune system from doing its job.
The following was discussed in the webinar:
- Immune supporting foods/distracting foods
- Research presented about supplements and how we want nutrients from food and not from pills
- Savvy shopping tips for added sugars, fats, and starches
- Immunity with health and wellness: it all works together!
- Healthy habits and how to make them
In this webinar, sponsored by Enu Nutrition, I discuss strategies for meeting nutrition needs during treatment. We cover nutritional challenges, signs of malnutrition, as well as using commercial products to meet nutrition needs when food intake is difficult.
We discuss the following topics:
- How nutrition plays a role during cancer treatment
- General nutrition during treatment tips
- Assessing for malnutrition during cancer treatment
- Ways to prevent and manage malnutrition
- Helpful nutrition product designed for cancer patients
In this webinar Julie covers the tips and tools regarding nutrition and cancer treatment, such as prepping food for treatment and what to eat to maintain good nutrition despite the eating challenges that many side effects can cause.
Julie discuses her 5 key recommendations for anyone going through cancer treatment and also covers specific strategies related to the following side effects:
- Poor Appetite
- Weight Loss
- Nausea + Vomiting
- Taste and Smell Changes
- Sore Throat and Mouth
Many people are told to lose weight by their doctors, but how much weight do they mean and why? In this webinar, we discuss the importance of healthy lifestyle vs. weight loss, what it means to be “weight-neutral”, what a healthy weight could be for you, and how nutrition plays a role in weight.
I am grateful that Amber Thomas, RD, CSO (of www.cancernutritionsolutions.com) joined me to add her expertise to the conversation.
Do you feel confused and overwhelmed at the large amount of nutrition information and media out there? This webinar is for you! We will walk you through the importance of evidence-based science, how to validate different media sources, and how to read nutrition research articles like a pro!
A plant-based diet has been shown to improve health, help your body function at its best, and save money! Many cancer survivors and cancer caregivers have heard that plant-based eating is recommended, but they aren’t sure exactly what it means or how to know if they are doing it. While plant-based doesn’t mean you have to exclude meat, it does mean including plenty of disease fighting plant foods. Watch this fun and informative webinar to learn practical and tasty ways to transition to more plant-based meals.
Hear ways to make eating healthy easy, fun and less time consuming.
In this webinar, Julie and Nutrition Intern, Elise, share why culinary herbs and spices are good for health and flavor, and discuss the specific nutritional benefit of a several herbs and spices.
Food Safety for Cancer Survivors and Those in Treatment.
IN THIS WEBINAR, JULIE DISCUSSES THE FOLLOWING:
- Food Safety 101
- Special notes for immune compromised
- Cancer survivor recommendations
- Current evidence regarding COVID-19 and food safety
In this webinar I cover the basics regarding emotional eating, why we eat, and how the food patterns we typically follow can either enhance our health & wellness or promote risk for disease.
My outline includes the following:
- Definition of emotional eating.
- When emotional eating is a problem, and when it’s just normal eating.
- 3 things to do about emotional eating.
- How eating patterns can contribute to health or disease.
- What is a nutritious diet.
Evidence Based Nutrition Guidelines for Breast Cancer Survivors @ Wake Forest Baptist Health Breast Cancer Symposium
Julie presented this to health care providers attending Wake Forest Baptist Health Breast Cancer Symposium in September 2016. She gives facts about nutrition, breast cancer, prevention and survivorship and provides key messaging for health providers to tell patients. While the presentation is targeted to health care providers, breast cancer survivors and caregivers interested in the latest evidence will also find it helpful.
Foods to Fortify and Boost Your Immunity
Delivered to Living Beyond Breast Cancer Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference in April 2015
You will learn:
– The difference between prebiotics and probiotics
– Foods that help good bacteria in your intestine
– Do omega-3s really reduce inflammation?
– Foods that help improve immune function
– Foods that increase inflammation
– Definition of phytochemicals
– How plant foods help support the health of your body