Hot off the press today is that the 4 basic food groups are back! Only we have new titles for them. Basically, to make things easy on people, the recommendation was to have all the food groups start with F.
The NEW food groups are as follows:
Fruit (should be obvious to you)
Fiber (includes all your grains)
Fat (the ones that everyone loves anyway)
Fart (obviously, this includes all the veggies and beans!).
What I like best about this is that you don’t have to remember all the different groups! Of course, you might notice that protein is missing, but since Americans tend to eat twice as much protein as they really need anyway, we don’t need to “Recommend” that they eat any and they will get just enough.
HA! April Fool’s to you! In honor of these four food groups is your healthy recipe for this week!
Fat and Fiber Recipe:
In order to help you incorporate two of these new food groups into your diet, here is a simple recipe to combine the fat and fiber groups!
- canola oil
Instructions for Air Popper:
- Pour 1/4 cup of popcorn into an air popper
- Place 1 T of canola oil in the butter warmer
- Turn the air popper on
- When popcorn is finished, add heated oil, some salt and stir.
Instructions for Stove Top Popping:
- Pour 1/4 cup popcorn and 1T canola oil into a pan
- Turn the burner on high
- when the popcorn starts popping, shake the pan over the burner
- Continue to shake until all popcorn is popped
- Add salt to taste!
Enjoy! Remember that popcorn is a whole grain; It’s what you put on it that makes it healthy or not.